The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is a National Centre of the Government of India, under the umbrella of the Department of Atomic Energy, as well as a deemed University awarding degrees for master's and doctoral programs. At TIFR, we carry out basic research in physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, computer science and science education. Our main campus is located in Mumbai, but we have additional campuses in Pune, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
The Cadmium Zinc Telluride Imager (CZTI), the hard X-ray detector on board Astrosat, was made fully operational on October 5. On October 6, Day 9 of Astrosat, the satellite turned towards Crab Nebula, remnant of the Supernova detected by Chinese astronomers in the year 1054, and CZTI provided the beautiful hard X-ray image of Crab Nebula.
Launch of Astrosat - first Indian astronomy satellite
The first Indian astronomy satellite Astrosat was launched on 28th September, 2015, by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) from Sriharikota, on a PSLV (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) rocket. Astrosat has unprecedented capability to simultaneously observe cosmic objects in visible light, the ultraviolet waveband and the entire X-ray waveband from very low energy to very high energy X-rays. This unique ability to observe the universe in multi-wavelengths, simultaneously, is aimed at performing cutting-edge research in astrophysics.
Researchers from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) have led this multi institutional effort and have made significant contributions to the design, fabrication and development of three out of five payloads that are on board Astrosat.
Proteins and the Computational MicroscopeRavindra Venkatramani
- Project Scientific Officer (C) [career]
- Project Scientific Officer (B) [career]
- Advertisement No. 2015/12 [career]
- Advertisement No 2015/14 [career]
- Stress Management [Sports Club]
- Prof. Sandip P. Trivedi [Awards & Honours]
- Cell Mechanics Module For An Existing AFM [Tenders]
- Renovation Of East Canteen At TIFR, Mumbai [Tenders]
- Corrigendum for change in boq [Tenders]
- Renovation work of two flats at tifr,mumbai [Tenders]
- Corrigendum for pre bid meeting date and due date [Tenders]
- Hexagonal BGO Crystals [Tenders]
- Inverted Microscope. [Tenders]
- Upgradation of east canteen air conditioning [Tenders]
- Circular [General Administration]
ConferencesCheck audio feed
- Advances in Seismology: a Dialogue Across Disciplines [07 Dec-11 Dec]
- Jet Triggering Mechanisms in Black Hole Sources [20 Jan-23 Jan]
- 1st Indian C.elegans Meeting and Workshop [28 Jan-02 Feb]