An appeal from the President of the TIFR Alumni Association
Dear Friend,You may be aware of the formation of the TIFR Alumni Association. The need for such an association was long-felt by many alumni of TIFR. Apart from raising the awareness about TIFR, the forum would do the following:
- Increase interaction between alumni spread in many areas of the world.
- Strengthen and/or re-establish the links of alumni with TIFR.
- Collect, periodically publish and distribute information regarding write-ups on individual alumnus/alumna, the progress of TAA, and about major findings in science and research at TIFR.
- Arrange public lectures by eminent alumni.
Membership of TIFR Alumni Association is open to:
- Anyone who has acquired a post-graduate degree through TIFR.
- Any ex-employee who has worked for two years at TIFR as an academic staff or scientific officer.
- Any ex-postdoctoral Visiting Fellow, who has worked at TIFR for at least one year.
If you are likely to visit Mumbai and are willing to give a talk on a topic of mutual interest, then please do write to the Secretary, TIFR Alumni Association well in advance. It may be possible to arrange for your stay in the TIFR Guest House for a couple of days on a nominal charge. The difficult period for accomodation in the guest house are November - February and May-July, the time for conferences, winter or summer schools.
In view of the above, I urge you to become a LIFE MEMBER of the TIFR Alumni Association. There is a small fee of Rs. 1000/- (or US$ 25 or equivalent). Please fill the enclosed form and post it with a `cheque' in favour of TIFR Alumni Association, Mumbai'. At the topleft corner of the cheque please write `Account Payee Only'. Send it with your detailed address to TIFR ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, c/o Ms. P. Rodrigues, B-114, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba, Mumbai 400 005, India. The membership form can be downloaded from the site http://www.tifr.res.in/~alumni/Membership_form.html. For a TAA identity card, please also send two copies of your photograph. We look forward to hearing from you.
(Please do visit our site at http://www.tifr.res.in/~alumni/Alumni_main.html for more details. Membership forms available at http://www.tifr.res.in/~alumni/Membership_form.html)
Please also see the APPENDIX below.
With regards and looking forward for a prompt and positive response, Kindly forward it to the other Alumni known to you, whom we might not have been able to contact.
With best wishes,
Yours Sincerely, P. Ganguli (President, TIFR Alumni Association)
TAA and TIFR Endowment Fund
Initiatives by TAA have helped collate nuclear amounts to start
- Two new best Ph. D. Thesis awards,
- An excellence in Teaching Award,
- An excellence in Science Education award,
- Commemorative medals for Patents/IPR holders of TIFR,
- Career development awards for research scholars of TIFR, and
- Cash awards for medal winners at international Science/Math Olympiads.
Contributors to TEF include families of (late) Prof. Harish Chandra, (late) Dr. Zeta Lobo, (late) Ms. Geeta Udgaonkar, Prof. S. S. Jha, Prof. B. M. Arora, Dr. Subhendu Guha, Shri. Kanwal Rekhi, Smt. Sudha Murty and Shri. N. R. Narayanamurty, Smt. Kumari and Shri S. D. Shibulal, Sasken Communication Technologies Ltd., Infosys Foundation, Hindustan Levers, TIFR alumni and staff members, etc.
We appeal to the members of TAA, and the staff and friends of TIFR to send in token contributions (one/two days salary per annum) to strengthen the corpus amounts of different awards so as to maintain the value of the awards vis - a - vis inflation, and to extend their longevity. New initiatives from alumni and friends of TIFR are also welcome. These activities are administered via TIFR Endowment Fund (TEF), contributions made to it are exempt from income tax (for details visit http://www.tifr.res.in/~endowment/ or contact TAA).